ISO/IEC 90003:2004 provides guidance for organizations in the application of ISO 9001:2000 to the acquisition, supply, development, operation and maintenance of computer software and related support services. ISO/IEC 90003:2004 does not add to or otherwise change the requirements of ISO 9001:2000.
The guidelines provided in ISO/IEC 90003:2004 are not intended to be used as assessment criteria in quality management system registration/certification.
The application of ISO/IEC 90003:2004 is appropriate to software that is
- part of a commercial contract with another organization,
- a product available for a market sector,
- used to support the processes of an organization,
- embedded in a hardware product, or
- related to software services.